In 1954 a special and uniquely hand built vehicle appeared from the workshops of Daimer-Benz: the Mercedes-Benz racing car transporter. With its deep blue colored Daimler-Benz paintwork, the soft curves of the chassis and a max speed of 170 km/h it caused just as much wonderment as the racing cars W 196 and 300 SLR on the loading bed.
After Daimler-Benz withdrew from Formula 1 racing at the end of 1955 this vehicle disappeared from the public view. Sadly the original was scrapped in 1967.
At the beginning of the 1990’s Daimler-Benz recalled this souvenir and under the direction of the Mercedes-Benz Classic Center a replica of the original was again constructed, bringing the solitaire “back to life”.
On the occasion of the 100 year company anniversary parade for the brand Mercedes-Benz in 2001, the racing car transporter was presented to an excited public at the Festival of Speed in Goodwood in South England.
|Technical data of the original vehicle:||• 6-cylinder in-line-engine (300 SL) • Fuel direct injection • Maximum output: 192 hp at 5.500 rpm • Displacement: 2.996 cm3 • Topspeed: 170 km/h • Wheel Base: 3.050 mm • Lenght: 6.750 mm • Width: 2.000 mm • Total weight: 2.100 kg|
The use of manufacturers’ names, symbols, type designations, and/or descriptions is solely for reference purposes. It does not imply that the CMC scale model is a product of any of these manufacturers. The use of racing team and/or driver names, symbols, starting numbers, and/or descriptions is solely for reference purposes. Unless otherwise stated, it does not imply that the CMC scale model is a product of any of these racing teams/drivers or endorsed by any of them